Selangor State Government launches video series on the survival of the industry and MSME amidst Covid-19 times.
The Covid-19 pandemic has hit a lot of individuals and businesses hard, especially financially. This has prompted a lot of local industry and micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) to move their businesses online since the start of the Movement Control Order (MCO), in March 2020.
The Selangor State Government has been working on promoting industrial digitalisation for years. With the re-imposition of the Conditional MCO in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur that started on 14 October, the push for a more digitalised workforce could not come at a better time.
Statistics from the Department of Statistics (DOS) show that 98.5%, or 907,065 of the companies registered in Malaysia are SMEs, with 19.8% hailing from Selangor. SMEs contribute 38.3% of the national GDP, and 66.2% of job production.
From a government that cares about the Rakyat and the economy, YB Dato Teng Chang Khim, Chairman of Standing Committees for Investment, Industry & Commerce and SME of the Selangor State Government, has produced a series of video interviews with the industry and MSMEs’ players.
YB Dato Teng Chang Khim, Chairman of Standing Committees for Investment, Industry & Commerce and SME of the Selangor State Government
This series aims to recognise the contributions of industry and MSME, and to encourage dialogue between the state government and the industry. It will showcase the 10 sectors in Selangor, the challenges they faced during the pandemic, their post-Covid-19 pandemic recovery plans, and how the Selangor State Government’s SME-friendly initiatives have supported them so the economy can further grow.
These 10 sectors include science and technology, retail, agriculture and fishing; logistics; tourism; F&B; e-Commerce; film industry; property development, and beauty industry. Individuals interviewed include:
The video project also serves as a communication platform for these industries to share their challenges as well as visions ahead. The first video in the series, titled “Covid-19 and Science & Technology in Malaysia”, will premiere on 20 October (Tuesday) at 8pm. New videos in the series will be posted weekly.
The video series can be viewed on YouTube, and the schedule may be found below:
1. Covid-19 and Science & Technology in Malaysia - 20 October 2020
2. What Covid-19 means for the logistics industry, now and the future - 27 October 2020
3. Farmers and fishermen in time of Covid-19 - 3 November 2020
4. Challenges facing the retail sector in 2020 - 10 November 2020
5. How does tourism sector salvage itself? - 17 November 2020
6. The impact of Covid-19 on the F&B industry and opportunities in time of crisis - 24 November 2020
7. The rise of E-commerce during the pandemic - 1 December 2020
8. Development of the film and television industry post-Covid-19 - 8 December 2020
9. The property industry after the epidemic - 15 December 2020
10. The future landscape of the local beauty industry - 22 December 2020